about arts_culture blog blue-place calendar central-square central-square-reversed close close-circle close-circle-thick close-white community do-option eat_drink eat-option education 404_error event-option facebook featured-member-stripe gold-place gray-place green-place hamburger hamburger-circle-3e header background header background health_fitness history instagram join_CSBA l_green-place launch2 life-science-tech logo-mark m-orange-place m_green-place mailplane mark medium-green-place mobile-featured-member-stripe mobile-intro-slash non-profit orange-place pink-place press privacy_policy purple-place red-place right-arrow right-arrow-thin right-arrow-thin-down science-tech services shop-option shopping special_events stripe stripe teal-place central-square_website-headers_TV-white-new twitter
mark
central-square

The construction of the West Boston Bridge (now the Longfellow Bridge) in 1793 reduced the distance from Cambridge to Boston from 8 to 3 ½ miles, and opened the countryside between Harvard Square and the Charles River to development. The Longfellow Bridge reached the Cambridge shore near Kendall Square, but required a causeway to cross the salt marsh to Pelham’s Island, at today’s Lafayette Square. The first settlement in Cambridgeport was near the intersection of today’s Main Street and Massachusetts Avenue and developed into the Central Square business and cultural district.